Skip to content Accessibility info

Magnolia Insurance Agency Blog

All You Ever Wanted to Know About Insurance


At first glance, this seems like a "yes" or "no" question.  But like so many things in insurance,  there's always more than one response.  I get these questions all the time at MAGNOLIA INSURANCE AGENCY.

I've had clients call me to say they've had  a "flood" when their washing machine or dishwasher overflows.  If this happens, the RESULTING DAMAGE from the broken appliance or interior  pipe IS typically  covered by the homeowners policy .  In other words if the dishwasher leaks all over the floor, the amount you need to refinish or replace the floor as well as any other furnishings or personal property that become damaged would be paid. 

On the other hand, if your basement "FLOODED" because of surface water intrusion  or other water intrusion from the outside, there would NOT be coverage as this is considered a "flood" insurance claim and is typically covered by a separate flood insurance policy.   Your homeowners policy specifically excludes coverage for any loss caused by flood waters or earthquake  unless specifically endorsed onto the policy.

Toni Matous, CPCU